How to manually start gnome?

Ed Wilts ewilts at ewilts.org
Thu Mar 17 02:56:00 UTC 2005

On Wed, Mar 16, 2005 at 04:33:45PM -0800, Seth G wrote:
> How curious. I ran rpm -qa | grep -i xfree and it returned nothing. So then
> I just ran rpm -qa and visually inspected the packages. I have a ton of
> entries for Gnome but not a single for "xfree".
>
> I'm running version 4.

Red Hat switched from XFree to Xorg in RHEL 4.  You should really start
using nahant-list instead of redhat-list since nahant is dedicated to
RHEL 4 questions.

Looking at my Fedora Core 3 system which also has the Xorg stuff, you
should be looking for packages that have xorg instead of XFree in their
names.  Similarly, the log file is /var/log/Xorg.0.log.

These are the xorg packages I have installed on Fedora Core 3.  You'll
have slightly different names but it should give you the general idea.

[ewilts at pe400 ~]$ rpm -qa | grep -i xorg
xorg-x11-Mesa-libGL-6.8.1-12.FC3.21
xorg-x11-xfs-6.8.1-12.FC3.21
xorg-x11-xdm-6.8.1-12.FC3.21
xorg-x11-libs-6.8.1-12.FC3.21
xorg-x11-font-utils-6.8.1-12.FC3.21
fonts-xorg-100dpi-6.8.1-1
fonts-xorg-base-6.8.1-1
xorg-x11-xauth-6.8.1-12.FC3.21
xorg-x11-6.8.1-12.FC3.21
xorg-x11-twm-6.8.1-12.FC3.21
fonts-xorg-75dpi-6.8.1-1
xorg-x11-Mesa-libGLU-6.8.1-12.FC3.21
xorg-x11-tools-6.8.1-12.FC3.21

[ewilts at pe400 ~]$ which startx
/usr/X11R6/bin/startx

> Why would the installer install and setup for xwindows and then fail to
> install it?

I think it's installed but it doesn't like your X configuration.  This
can happen if your monitor or graphics card are incorrectly configured.

Also, please trim your posts.  I think I just deleted a half dozen
copies of the list footers.

--
Ed Wilts, RHCE
Mounds View, MN, USA