linux version

Steve Buehler steve at ibapp.com
Sun Mar 20 13:10:16 UTC 2005

At 11:30 PM 3/19/2005, bala chandar wrote:
>On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 14:22:07 -0600, Steve Buehler <steve at ibapp.com> wrote:
> > At 06:57 AM 3/19/2005, bala chandar wrote:

> > >use uname -a
> >
> > hmmmm.......What does that command say on your server?  The Linux version
> > like he wants (RedHat 9)? Or the kernel version?  I have several 7.3, 9,
> > RHEL ES 3 and RHEL ES 4 boxes and "uname -a" doesn't give the RedHat
> > version...only the kernel version.  Not trying to flame you or be an
> > a*s.  Either you misread his question, or I misread it.....which is highly
> > possible. :)
> >

>the command gives the what ur running kernel version and the system
>name! either its a debian or redhat or some other kind of distro.

RedHat 7.3, 8, 9, RHEL ES 3 and RHEL ES 4 don't tell you if it is RedHat
either.  A uname -a tells you the kernel-name which is just "Linux", not
"RedHat Linux".  I don't know about a debian box....so I won't say anything
about it. :)
On all of the RedHat versions I have just mentioned "uname -a" says (with
different kernel versions, dates etcetera)    :
Linux nodename 2.6.9-5.0.3.EL #1 Mon Feb 14 09:52:18 EST 2005 i686 i686
i386 GNU/Linux
He wants to type something that will tell him it is "RedHat 9".  At least
by reading his question again, that is what it sounds like he
wants.  Again, I could be wrong on what he is asking.  But to get what it
sounds like he is asking, uname will not give the answer.  "cat
/etc/redhat-release" will give the answer for him.

Steve