RPM Build ?? My rpm does nothing :(

Michael Gale michael.gale at pason.com
Thu Mar 24 17:48:11 UTC 2005

Hello,

I am trying to build a package for nrpe-2.0, I was following the
instructions at http://www.rpm.org/RPM-HOWTO/build-it.html.

But nothing happens when I do a rpm -i rpm-package-name, even with -vv I
do not see anything being done that would indicate it was installing a
package ?

Here are my steps:

1. Downloaded nrpe-2.0 from the web and extracted the package.

2. I ran ./configure with the options I wanted.

3. I then create a init.d script for nrpe

4. Placed a template config (nrpe.cfg-rpm) in the directory

5. I then created a setup-nrpe.sh script which creates a user on the
system and sets a default password.

6. I then created my nrpe-2.0-1.spec file (attached).

7. I then tar/gzipped backup the source directory and placed it
in /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES/nrpe-2.0.tar.gz

Now if I run rpmbuild -ba nrpe-2.0-1.spec it seems to do everything
correctly.

It extracts the source, the user is created, runs make and installs the
binaries in the places I specified. It also puts the nrpe init.d script
is the right directory and creates the syslink. All of which is
specified in the spec file.

So why it is if I run rpm -i nothing seems to happen ?

Michael.