two subnets thru same wire

mlists at tdbnetworks.org mlists at tdbnetworks.org
Fri Mar 25 11:31:22 UTC 2005

Shiraz I've answered each question inline below:

> My question realtes the fact, whether we can have two
> subnets passing thru same wire and communicating with
> each other. The two subnets are:
>                   -----------------
>                   |     Hub       |
>                   -----------------
>                    |    |   |   |
>   -----------------     |   |   ---------------
>   |              -------    -------            |
>   |              |                |            |
>   192.168.10.3   |                |       192.168.11.5
>       A      192.168.11.3      192.168.10.5    D
>                   B                 C
>
>    It is a six port Hub. Four hosts with IP addresses
> given above are attached to the hub. There are two
> subnets 192.168.10.0 and 192.168.11.0.
> The netmask is 255.255.255.0 in all cases.
>
> Q1: Will Host A be able to talk to Host C?
	Yes, They have the same subnet mask and network address

> Q2: Will Host B be able to talk to Host D?
	Yes, They have the same subnet mask and network address

> Q3: If the communication is possible, are there likely
> to be any problems?
	Their can be problems cause by this kind of setup but it all depends on
whether this is a test setup at home or a real scenario at work in a
large network.

	From a strategic point of view I would always advise against more than
a class c in one broadcast domain, this means that you should either put
them on different switches bounded by a router or use a single switch
with multiple vlans and again bound them with a router.

> Q4. If instead of switch, we use hub, will it make any difference?
	Switches are higher performance devices which can be managed and
controlled so I would have to ask again whether you are doing this at
home or in a large scenario at work.