Two subnets thru same wire

Shiraz Baig shiraz_baig at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 28 07:30:30 UTC 2005

Sir,
Mr Ed Greshko has reminded me about academic
questions. I agree with him. But it is not purely an
academic question, as would be clear from following
real life situation of my office.
BTW, I have read, everything about ARP, MAC address
and how things work on wire. But I thought, I must
also also ask experts.

Here is the configuration that we have in our office.
This configuration is also working.

    Switch
 _______________
 |  |  |  |    |
 |  |  |  |     ---- DSL Router  ---- Internet
 |  |  |  |         203.147.175.12
 |  |  |  |
 |  |  |  ----------Mail Server (multihomed)
 |  |  |            203.147.175.13
 |  |  |            192.168.10.3
 |  |  |
 |  |  -------- 192.168.10.4
 |  ----------- 192.168.10.5
 ---------------- Hub & computers of address
                   192.168.10.*

You see, there are two class C networks. One is that
of 203.147.175.0
The other is 12.168.10.0. Both these networks are
passing thru same switch.

I just wanted to be sure that there is nothing wrong
with this configuration. So, I would request your
comments please.

bye
shiraz