Redhat Enterprise 4 Remote Desktop (VNC) Server Port

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Tue Mar 29 01:34:44 UTC 2005

Don Lindbergh wrote:
> Ed wrote:
>
>> man Xvnc
>

> Thanks.   The Xvnc man page references a file which doesn't exist on my
> system, inetd.conf.  xinetd.conf exists but it doesn't contain anything
> pointing to Xvnc nor does my etc/xinetd.d directory.
>
> So, exactly how is the vnc server started after using the interface to
> change remote desktop preferences, 'sharing, allow other users to view
> your desktop, allow other users to control your desktop' etc.?   IE, if
> there's some file somewhere containing a line which is running 'Xvnc'
> with some parameters, what file is that?
>
> I checked the Redhat documentation and didn't find anything about this.

Well...one way to do this is to edit the /etc/init.d/vncserver file.

In the "start" subroutine exit the line:

"su ${USER} -c \"cd ~${USER} && [ -f .vnc/passwd ] && vncserver
:${display%%:*}\""

to be:

"su ${USER} -c \"cd ~${USER} && [ -f .vnc/passwd ] && vncserver
-httpport 6900 :${display%%:*}\""

Seems as if there should be a way to specify this in a config file...and
yes I assumed the Xvnc man page would have had it.  :-)

Ed

--
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
fools."

--Ford Prefect in "Mostly Harmless".