Redhat Enterprise 4 Remote Desktop (VNC) Server Port

Don Lindbergh don at donlindbergh.com
Tue Mar 29 02:33:44 UTC 2005

>> Ed wrote:
> Well...one way to do this is to edit the /etc/init.d/vncserver file.
>
> In the "start" subroutine exit the line:
>
> "su ${USER} -c \"cd ~${USER} && [ -f .vnc/passwd ] && vncserver
> :${display%%:*}\""
>
> to be:
>
> "su ${USER} -c \"cd ~${USER} && [ -f .vnc/passwd ] && vncserver -httpport
> 6900 :${display%%:*}\""
>
> Seems as if there should be a way to specify this in a config file...and
> yes I assumed the Xvnc man page would have had it.  :-)

Hmmm, just tried editing that file and specifying a different port,
restarted, and the vnc server continues to run on tcp port 5900 (I had
previously thought it was 5800).

If I stop the server, I do an nmap afterwards and it's still
running/listening and I can connect with a client.

/etc/init.d/vncserver stop

Shutting down VNC server:                                  [  OK  ]

[root at localhost don]# nmap -sT -O localhost

Starting nmap 3.70 ( http://www.insecure.org/nmap/ ) at 2005-03-28 21:29 EST
Interesting ports on localhost.localdomain (127.0.0.1):
(The 1655 ports scanned but not shown below are in state: closed)
PORT     STATE SERVICE
22/tcp   open  ssh
25/tcp   open  smtp
111/tcp  open  rpcbind