Redhat Enterprise 4 Remote Desktop (VNC) Server Port

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Tue Mar 29 02:55:11 UTC 2005

Don Lindbergh wrote:
>>> Ed wrote:
>>
>> Well...one way to do this is to edit the /etc/init.d/vncserver file.
>>
>> In the "start" subroutine exit the line:
>>
>> "su ${USER} -c \"cd ~${USER} && [ -f .vnc/passwd ] && vncserver
>> :${display%%:*}\""
>>
>> to be:
>>
>> "su ${USER} -c \"cd ~${USER} && [ -f .vnc/passwd ] && vncserver
>> -httpport 6900 :${display%%:*}\""
>>
>> Seems as if there should be a way to specify this in a config
>> file...and yes I assumed the Xvnc man page would have had it.  :-)
>

> Hmmm, just tried editing that file and specifying a different port,
> restarted, and the vnc server continues to run on tcp port 5900 (I had
> previously thought it was 5800).

There are 2 ports for the vncserver....

One is the httpport that I thought you were talking about.  That is the
5800 range and controlled by the -httpport parameter.

The other is the "remote frame buffer" port which is the 5900 range and
controlled by the -rfbport parameter.

See "man Xvnc" for...

-rfbport port
     Specifies  the  TCP  port  on which Xvnc listens for connections
     from viewers (the protocol used in VNC is called RFB  -  "remote
     framebuffer").  The default is 5900 plus the display number.

and

-httpPort port
     Specifies the port on which the mini-HTTP server runs.   Default
     is 5800 plus the display number.

--
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
fools."

--Ford Prefect in "Mostly Harmless".