Islamic rep. of iran firewall and squid server

paal at barum.folkebibl.no paal at barum.folkebibl.no
Fri Mar 25 08:38:36 UTC 2005

Being on holiday travel and for time being in Iran,  I try to read my
favorite newspapers from home but they are blocked by a national firewall.

I have access to my rh 8 server running at home with squid installed, I
logged on and started squid. Configured Opera's lan settings for proxy  on
XP to go to my servers  ip adress listenng on default port 3128.  No
contact on this port, but if I set port 80 the traffic is routed by my
server but still sites are blocked. reading squids access.log does not
show any traffic from the computer where I am sitting. I have configured
the squid.conf to be as open as I can get it, no access restrictions for
the time being.

I have never used squid for this purpose before, but I got a tips that it
could work. The connection to internet I got here is by 28 kbps modem
dialling service.

Is there any chance I can make this work? Students on university here are
also keen to know if they can have access to blocked sites in this way,
accessing proxy servers outside the country.