how to delete

Dave Ihnat ignatz at dminet.com
Tue Mar 29 12:46:30 UTC 2005

On Tue, Mar 29, 2005 at 06:41:42AM -0600, Ed Wilts wrote:
> The list admin has the ability to delete the message from the official
> archive (it's non-trivial and he has better things to do with his time)

Indeed.

> but he has no ability to delete it from everywhere else (like the Austrian
> site you've referenced).  He certainly can't delete your message from my
> personal mail spool and archives.
>
> In short, once you've posted the message, it's out there forever.

I had a lawyer consult me on a similar--but more litigious--situation as
a SME.  I wrote a detailed report enumerating what could be done and how,
but pointed out that Omar Khayyam summed it up more succinctly long ago:

   The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ,
   Moves on; nor all your Piety nor Wit
   Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line,
   Nor all your Tears wash out a Word of it.
--
	Dave Ihnat
	President, DMINET Consulting, Inc.
	dihnat at dminet.com