No script output to stdout,stderr

Brendan Gibson Brendan.Gibson at bds.tv
Tue Mar 29 15:23:55 UTC 2005

| > [...]
| > | $ perl checkout.pl
| > | I am a perl script
| > |
| > | However running them as
| > | ./shcheckout.sh
| > | AND
| > | ./checkout.pl
| > | produce no output, but redirecting the output to a file works OK.
| > | Does anyone know what's going on, and how to fix it?
| >
| > No, I don't know what's going on. It is not normal at all.
| > Do other commands produce output in that shell?
|
| Yes they do.  Only when a shell script is called with #! in the top of an
| external file do I get no output.  I have been able to work around it, but
| still puzzles me.

Could you describe your workaround please? It may give clues.

And please post below the (trimmed) quoted text; it makes the context read
like a conversation, which is desirable because it is a conversation.

- The workaround was just to run commands like $ perl command.pl

Please note that all BDS email addresses have now changed to
firstname.lastname at bds.tv,  please update your address books and visit our
new site at http://www.bds.tv.

This email is confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual
to whom it is addressed. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of
the author and do not necessarily represent those of Broadcasting
Dataservices.  If you are not the intended recipient, be advised that you
have received this email in error and that any use, dissemination,
forwarding, printing, or copying of this email is strictly prohibited. If
you have received this email in error please notify the sender.