Why redhat will never get another dime of my money.

Steven Jones Steven.Jones at vuw.ac.nz
Wed Mar 30 20:56:57 UTC 2005

Personally I am very shocked at RH's quality, it is as bad if not worse
than MS IMHO. And it doesn't end there.... we also get Support from MS
and as we have Sun servers as well, Sun, then add in HP for tru64 boxes
and RH is by far the worst performer of the lot in terms of release and
patch quality, and their support, well......

Having used Debian for 8 years, Solaris for 5 and having to use RH for 9
months commercially the difference is tremendous.......

I am seriously looking at Suse, at least with Novell down the road I
have someone to kick locally in NZ. Dell NZ/AP suck for RH support and
RH in the USA just do not cut it either.

8><----

>So you didn't properly test a new release that impacted 100 servers?
>Shame on you...

The computer software world has a lot to learn, while I agree with you
up to a point....In a QA engineering environment you trust the item you
install as being fit for its purpose, you do not need to test it, its
QA'd. In turn when you release something as QA'd in turn the person
downline should be able to trust it is going to work.

8><-----

>It doesn't matter if you buy a car or software - you need to test drive
>each one and determine how it's going to react to what you're going to
>do.  If it's important to you, test it first and develop a backout
>plan.

See my comments above.....

Regards

Thing