umount question

Mike Wooding timmywooding at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 30 21:26:07 UTC 2005

--- Marty Landman <MLandman at face2interface.com> wrote:
> How do I get this cd unmounted?

> [root at penguin RPMS]# umount /mnt/cdrom
> umount: /mnt/cdrom: device is busy
> [root at penguin RPMS]# /sbin/fuser -m /mnt/cdrom
> /mnt/cdrom:          19774c 19924c
> [root at penguin RPMS]# umount /mnt/cdrom
> umount: /mnt/cdrom: device is busy
> [root at penguin RPMS]# /sbin/fuser -k /mnt/cdrom/19774c
> /mnt/cdrom/19774c: No such file or directory
> [root at penguin RPMS]# /sbin/fuser -k /mnt/cdrom/19924c
> /mnt/cdrom/19924c: No such file or directory
> [root at penguin RPMS]# umount /mnt/cdrom
> umount: /mnt/cdrom: device is busy

 If someone (sh?) has cwd set to somewhere in the /mnt/cdrom
 fs, (e.g. cd /mnt/cdrom) that will make the mounted fs busy.
 This can seomtimes be subtle to discover. E.g. if you have
 a shell and do a cd /mnt/cdrom, the "su" so you can do rooty
 stuff and then cd / and try and umount, the device will still
 be busy, because the process you left when you su'd is still
 cwd to /mnt/cdrom. Did I make that sufficiently confusing?

He who laughs last thinks slowest.