umount question

Marty Landman MLandman at face2interface.com
Wed Mar 30 21:50:00 UTC 2005

At 04:26 PM 3/30/2005, Mike Wooding wrote:

>--- Marty Landman <MLandman at face2interface.com> wrote:
> > How do I get this cd unmounted?

> > [root at penguin RPMS]# umount /mnt/cdrom
> > umount: /mnt/cdrom: device is busy
> > [root at penguin RPMS]# /sbin/fuser -m /mnt/cdrom
> > /mnt/cdrom:          19774c 19924c

snip

>  If someone (sh?) has cwd set to somewhere in the /mnt/cdrom
>  fs, (e.g. cd /mnt/cdrom) that will make the mounted fs busy.
>  This can seomtimes be subtle to discover. E.g. if you have
>  a shell and do a cd /mnt/cdrom, the "su" so you can do rooty
>  stuff and then cd / and try and umount, the device will still
>  be busy, because the process you left when you su'd is still
>  cwd to /mnt/cdrom. Did I make that sufficiently confusing?

Hey Mike you got me convinced. :)

So, it's still busy... my Penguin box is holding my second RH9 cd captive.
Don't tell me I've got to reboot to get it out of there!

Marty

Marty Landman, Face 2 Interface Inc. 845-679-9387
Search & Sort Easily: http://face2interface.com/Products/FormATable.shtml
Web Installed Formmail: http://face2interface.com/formINSTal