Filesystem device node files

Geoff Rainey (DSL AK) GeoffR at datacom.co.nz
Thu Mar 31 22:41:21 UTC 2005

Hello,

I would like to know how filesystem device node files get allocated.
For instance, I have a RHAS 2.1 box connected to a SAN which presents
the SAN volumes. It seems with differing kernel versions, the SAN
volumes are configured on different device node files, under one version
of kernel, they are /dev/sdb1 and /dev/sdb2, then under another kernel
version, they become /dev/sdd1 and /dev/sdd2, and /dev/sdb1 and /dev/sdb2
are no longer devices at all.
Can anyone describe to me why this occurs, or show me a document
describing this?

Regards,
Geoff Rainey.