EL4 ES kernel recompile

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Mon May 9 21:53:39 UTC 2005

Dave Francis wrote:
> Hi Murthy
>
> Thanks heaps for that. I tried the rpmbuild of the kernel like you said, but
> that failed. (output below).
> The question is do I have to be more specific in my rpmbuild command,
> because of the other kernels that are installed?
> The kernel I am running is the kernel-2.6.9-5.0.5.EL. I saw somewhere that
> the rpmbuild command uses the last listing in the rpm -q command??

FWIW, I have rebuilt the RHELv4 kernels using the following procedure.

1.  Created a ~/.rpmmacros file with a single entry for %_topdir
pointing to a directory in my user space and created the directory
structures as in /usr/src/redhat.

2.  Installed the most recent kernel src.rpm.  (Installs in %_topdir as
noted above.)

3.  Edit the appropriate config file in SOURCES.  In my case it tends to
be kernel-2.6.9-i686-smp.config....but I may also edit
kernel-2.6.9-i686.config to get the UP rpm.

4.  From my ~ directory run "rpmbuild -ba --target i686
~/$%_topdir/SPECS/kernel-2.6.spec

Then wait a bit.  Assuming my changes to the config files were
"appropriate" everything builds and I have the rpm needed.

Regards,
Ed