Hard disk problem ?

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Thu May 12 21:07:18 UTC 2005

Reggy Ekkebus wrote:
> This comes from my /var/log/messages.
>
> These disks are brand new (< 1 year old. Less than half year when trouble
> started).
>
> It's a "Maxtor 7Y250M0 Version: YAR5"
>
> Is there some way i can test this disk for 'errors' ?

Go to http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

Download, burn, boot.....

Lots of good diagnostic tools.

FWIW, it found problems with on of my HD's on my laptop.  However, I
made the "mistake" of allowing the utility to fix the problem.  It did
fix the problem....for a while.  But the HD was going bad...and it died
while was on a trip.  I relearned what I already knew.  If a diagnostic
finds HW problems....they are only going to get worse, not better.

Regards,
Ed

--
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
fools."

--Ford Prefect in "Mostly Harmless".