Compiling kernel rpm

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Mon May 2 09:50:35 UTC 2005

Otto Haliburton wrote:

> [...]

????  I honestly don't see a question in your last post.  Although I
must admit that my being a native English speaker puts me at a
disadvantage.  I hope your last remark isn't meant as a provocation.

In any event....

If all you are trying to do is to rebuild the kernel RPM with SMP
capabilities then you don't need an SMP machine.

Assuming you are using the RH SRPM

1.  rpm -ivh kernel...src.rpm  (Some people find the use of a .rpmmacros
file of value to put the source in a "non-root") location.

2.  rpmbuild -ba --target i686 kernel-2.4.spec

But then again, someone had already said that...but it seemed to be not
what you are looking for....

I think the other poster was saying that they hack the kernel....config
file in the SOURCES directory to enable/disable features as opposed to
running menuconfig.

Is there something unclear or specific that you need to know that is
being missed?

Sorry to have irritated you.

--
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
fools."

--Ford Prefect in "Mostly Harmless".