need help about VNC

bruce bedouglas at earthlink.net
Tue May 3 03:09:21 UTC 2005

ed....

vnc uses a startup file 'xstartup' to determine which user shell/session is displayed. it can be found in the /home/user/.vnc/ dir of whoever you are who did the vncserver command to start vnc.

here's what it looks like....
--------------------------------------
[root at lserver2 wc]# cat /root/.vnc/xstartup
#!/bin/sh

# Uncomment the following two lines for normal desktop:
# unset SESSION_MANAGER
# exec /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc

[ -x /etc/vnc/xstartup ] && exec /etc/vnc/xstartup
[ -r $HOME/.Xresources ] && xrdb $HOME/.Xresources
xsetroot -solid grey
vncconfig -iconic &
xterm -geometry 80x24+10+10 -ls -title "$VNCDESKTOP Desktop" &

gnome-session &
#twm &
to run gnome you need the line that says 'gnome-session &', and you comment out the line below 'twn &'

you simply make the chnage, and then run 'vncserver' and the changes take effect. make sure you use the correct port number as each time you run vncserver, the port number can be incremented..

have fun...

-bruce