[Q] any good and free ssh tool on PC

Gavin McDonald gavitron at gmail.com
Tue May 3 05:49:06 UTC 2005

----Original Message-----
On Behalf Of Carl Reynolds
Sent: Monday, May 02, 2005 8:15 PM
To: General Red Hat Linux discussion list
Subject: Re: [Q] any good and free ssh tool on PC

mcclnx mcc wrote:

>We  plan to block out Telnet and FTP on LINUX servers
>and use SSH.  Does anyone know any good and free SSH
>tool on PC (windows)?

It can take a bit of work to setup, but I prefer OpenSSH under cygwin.  This
way you get command-line scp too

www.cygwin.com

Alternatively, I've had good experiences with the freeware, semi-supported
SSH-capable version of Teraterm:
http://hp.vector.co.jp/authors/VA002416/teraterm.html

As well as the not-so-free software AlphaCom by OmniCom.
http://www.omnicomtech.com/products/alphacom.php3
though the scrollback buffer is nonexistent, the console emulation is
top-notch.

Finally, others have recommended the java-based MindTerm to me, but I have
never been much of a fan. http://www.oit.duke.edu/sa/security/ssh.html

if you still want SCP, without the overhead of cygwin, try winSCP, available
here:
http://winscp.net/eng/index.php

HTH,

Gavin.