Missing C compiler?

Ken Morley ken at jmtg.com
Wed May 4 15:33:26 UTC 2005

I apologize in advance if these seem like silly questions, but I'm a bit of
a newbie, at least when working with Linux at this level.

I've just installed RedHat ES3 with a close-to-default software package
configuration.  I just select BASE components for X Windows, GNOME Desktop,
Graphical Internet, Games, Server Configuration Tools, DNS Name Server,
Administration Tools & Printing Support.  I didn't select any optional
components for these packages.

I then removed sendmail, redhat-config-samba & samba using RPM.  I then ran
Up2Date and updated everything except mdadm, perl, samba, smaba-common and
open-office.org-libs and restarted.

Perl 5.8.0.88-4 is currently installed.  Now, I want to manually install the
latest version of Perl.  When I run "sh Configure -de" it aborts with an
error that it can't find the C compiler.  It's looking for "cc".

I thought that maybe I needed to install the base Software Development
package, so I tried System Settings => Add/Remove Applications.  When I try
that, it fails with an unlocatable package krb5-libs which is required by
krb5-workstation.

Here are my questions:

1) Shouldn't the base install that I did include a working C compiler?

2) If so, what is it called (ie: cc) and where does it reside?

3) How do I recover from here to get the C compiler installed so that I can
update Perl?

4) Should I uninstall Perl before installing the new version (I'll bet there
are too many dependencies for that to be practical)?  If so, how?

Thanks for your suggestions!