X doesn't start [Solved]

Deboo Geek knowledgeful at gmail.com
Sun May 8 10:06:50 UTC 2005

On 5/3/05, Mike Wooding <timmywooding at yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- Gavin McDonald <gavitron at gmail.com> wrote:
>  ... [snip] ...
> > I had a normal working X a few days back. I have a dual bot system
> > and
> > needed an app for a few days to work on som eproject so did not boot
> > in to linux for some days. Now when I boot in to linux, neither do I
> > get the gdm screen for login nor can I start X from console. I got
> > the
> > error : "Failed to load default font fixed.
>
>  Check that your font server is starting up.

xfs was up fine. It was a monitor refresh rate problem. I do not know
how this happened though. I edited the XF86Config file and manually
tried different refresh rates. Still it wouldn't start X. I
reinstalled all X rpms. Then I made a new config file with XFree86.

(I didn't know this command was there, redhat-config-xfree86 was of
little use since the X screen would come for a moment and go off as
soon as you moved the mouse - I think this is a bad tool, compared to
say, xf86config or the old XFree86cfg or I don't remember what used to
be in RH before - it was good).

and put the refresh rates from the old config file and it worked.

Regards,
Deboo

--
Please don't Cc: me, I'm subscribed to the list.