EL4 ES kernel recompile

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Mon May 9 04:41:05 UTC 2005

Dave Francis wrote:
> Hi Guys
>
> Im trying to recompile the kernel in EL4 ES in order to get the clock
> running correctly under VMware ESX.
>
> As Redhat dont provide much info on the process for this under EL4, ive
> kinda worked blind up to here, and now Im stuck.
> Fresh build.
> First, ive updated (up2date).  (inc Kernel).
> Next I installed the kernel source through up2date.
> Then I tried a make mrproper, and thats where Im stuck.

I use VMware Workstation and following the instuctions on the VMware
site allowed the clock to work just fine without any changes to the kernel.

Have you tried VMware's workarounds for 2.6 Kernels?

--
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
fools."

--Ford Prefect in "Mostly Harmless".