SSH question

Michael Velez mikev777 at hotmail.com
Fri May 13 18:55:49 UTC 2005

I have both a Linux machine and several Windows XP machines on my home
network.  In order to have automated scripts work, I run ssh without a
password from one machine to the other (Linux to Windows and Windows to
Linux) from within my secure network, no problem.

I also do ssh tunneling without a password to get java apps on windows to
talk to my Oracle database on Linux and it works fine. Granted, I do the
tunneling from Windows to Linux; however, I would be surprised that the
opposite cannot be done.

I have installed Cygwin (www.cygwin.com) and their ssh onto all my windows
XP machines.

It may be for security reasons that an ssh public key needs to have a
password at their site? Or has the client's client properly configured ssh?

If you still want to use your workaround, I believe the 'expect' command
should work for you.  I use it to telnet to my modem to automatically get my
external IP address.  However, I'm not necessarily a proponent of including
a password into a script file.

Michael