iptables help

Jessica Zhu jessica at mathforum.org
Fri May 13 19:12:26 UTC 2005

Hi,

I tried to customize and set up firewall using iptables on Red Hat
Enterprise Linux ES release 3. The file /etc/sysconfig/iptables got
edited. After I finished editing, I restarted service using
/etc/init.d/iptables restart or service iptables restart. However, though
it's got successfully restarted, when I checked the status, none of my
editing taking effection.
It's weired. For example, the default chain INPUT, OUTPUT and FORWARD all
are ACCEPT, down in new iptables I edited, it's like as follows,

*filter
:INPUT DROP
:FORWARD DROP
:OUTPUT ACCEPT [0:0]

But nothing take effection after iptables got restarted. What happened?

Jessica