Mounting nfs v4

Venkatachalam, Saravanakumar svenkat at india.ti.com
Mon May 16 10:59:46 UTC 2005

Hi, Grant,

NFS v4 works in a different way.. The directory you share with 'fsid=0'
is teated as '/' root filesystem for NFS clients..
from then any other shares should be binded under the root share.

Example:

 in /etc/exports file

/export  (rw,sync,fsid=0)
/export/home (rw,sync)

If in case you wanted to share /newexport/home_new, then you have to
mount the filesystem with 'bind' option under /export/ (root NFS share)

# mkdir /export/home_new
# mount -o bind /newexport/home_new /export/home_new

then, add the following entry to the above /etc/exports file
 /export/home_new (rw,sync)

on the client side.. if you wanted to mount the /export/home:

 # mount    -t nfs4   server:/home    /mountpoint

 /export is treated as '/' (root)

 In your case, you need to use the option in fstab as shown below

serverhostname:/  /mountpoint nfs4 rw,hard,intr 0 0

regards,
saravan