Second Try: Kernel update not recognized

Michael Schwendt fedora at wir-sind-cool.org
Mon May 16 17:31:54 UTC 2005

On Mon, 16 May 2005 11:15:25 -0400, sancho wrote:

> Michael, All,
> Thanks for the answer, here is what I found when checking your
> questions. Letsee.... answers to your query in order:
>
> 1. /boot partition according to sfdisk -s for /dev/hda1: 104391 blocks.

That's the size of the partition, not the free size of the file system.

> 2. Quite honestly, I never have run out of space on the boot partition
> before! (On several RedHat 6.x,7.x, 8.x, 9.x or the Enterprise Advanced
> Server (RHEL3)) installations before. So... I never had to learn how to
> delete old kernels (sheepish grin). I have been a "learn as needed"
> admin; focused on system security/sendmail and Apache config and
> security. The kernel and new kernel updates "just worked".

"rpm --query --all 'kernel*'" to list all packages, which start
with "kernel" in the name. Then "rpm --erase kernel-PUTVERSIONHERE"
to erase old kernel packages.

> 3. There is no /boot/grub.

Well, that's a surprise. "rpm --query grub ; rpm -V grub" gives what?
If it's missing, you would need to re-install it before you would
be able to construct /boot/grub/grub.conf.