Second Try: Kernel update not recognized

sancho sancho at giskard.umaryland.edu
Tue May 17 02:18:33 UTC 2005

Michael, All,

Thanks for your patience and letting me ramble! I really want to
understand this, but guess I'm incapable of instant "true
enlightenment"... I pose two questions at the bottom of the note that
may help me with an answer. read them first before wasting too much time
on the stuff in between.

Below I've tried to take parts of your answer/suggestions and report
back what I've done/seen so far:

Michael Schwendt wrote:
 > Well, that's a surprise. "rpm --query grub ; rpm -V grub" gives what?
 > If it's missing, you would need to re-install it before you would
 > be able to construct /boot/grub/grub.conf.

Well, grub is installed. It seems that if there is a grub.conf, it is on
the boot partition and I can't seem to get to/see it any way that I
thought I knew of. What is "proper way"?

Michael Schwendt wrote:
 > "rpm --query --all 'kernel*'" to list all packages, which start
 > with "kernel" in the name. Then "rpm --erase kernel-PUTVERSIONHERE"
 > to erase old kernel packages.

rpm --query --all 'kernel* showed all the kernel files up through the
latest version. All installed kernels were reported in *boot partition*
up to kernel-2.4.21-27.EL. The 2.4.21-27.0.1.EL/.0.3.EL/.0.4.EL kernels
are in the */boot directory* in the user partition. All versions in the
boot partition except 21-27.EL are now deleted using rpm. The boot up
grub splash menu still shows all the deleted ones but will only boot up
  2.4.21-27.EL without error. The splash menu does not show any of the
three more recent ones that I can see are in the /boot directory.

Michael Schwendt wrote:
 > Well, that's a surprise. "rpm --query grub ; rpm -V grub" gives what?
 > If it's missing, you would need to re-install it before you would
 > be able to construct /boot/grub/grub.conf.

rpm won't seem to let me install/refresh the latest kernel to the boot
partition... so I'll need to see if I can create a /boot/grub/grub.conf
file that will work without cratering my server (I can't afford to go
without right now!)

Should I try using rpm to delete the three most recent kernels, then
reinstall the latest to see if it goes to the boot partition and shows
up in the grub splash menu? If I can't see/get to /boot/grub/grub.conf,
how else might I delete the listings for the old kernels that I deleted
using rpm?

Sanch