Second Try: Kernel update not recognized

Michael Schwendt fedora at wir-sind-cool.org
Tue May 17 08:17:41 UTC 2005

On Mon, 16 May 2005 22:18:33 -0400, sancho wrote:

> The boot up
> grub splash menu still shows all the deleted ones but will only boot up
>   2.4.21-27.EL without error. The splash menu does not show any of the
> three more recent ones that I can see are in the /boot directory.

That indicates that you have a grub.conf somewhere, which is loaded
by GRUB when you boot the system. "find / -name grub.conf" might find
it. Alternatively, in GRUB menu there's a command-line mode, which
you can enter with key 'c' and then run "find /boot/grub.conf" or
"find /grub.conf" to look for common locations of that file. If it
finds it, the partition is printed.

> Michael Schwendt wrote:
>  > Well, that's a surprise. "rpm --query grub ; rpm -V grub" gives what?
>  > If it's missing, you would need to re-install it before you would
>  > be able to construct /boot/grub/grub.conf.
>  >
> rpm won't seem to let me install/refresh the latest kernel to the boot
> partition...

Why not? What error do you get? It would fail to add it to the apparently
non-existant grub.conf, but it would install the files.

> so I'll need to see if I can create a /boot/grub/grub.conf
> file that will work without cratering my server (I can't afford to go
> without right now!)

default=0
timeout=10
#splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
title RHEL3
    root (hd0,0)
    kernel /vmlinuz-VERSION ro root=LABEL=/
    initrd /initrd-VERSION.img

This is a template. (hd0,0) is /dev/hda1, your /boot partition.  You would
need to substitute VERSION with your most recent kernel version, also for
the generated initrd, and make sure that the / (root) partition has the
correct partition label. Run e.g. "e2label /dev/hda2" to find out. Else
specify the partition directly: root=/dev/hda2  (substitute hda2 accordingly)

> Should I try using rpm to delete the three most recent kernels, then
> reinstall the latest to see if it goes to the boot partition and shows
> up in the grub splash menu? If I can't see/get to /boot/grub/grub.conf,
> how else might I delete the listings for the old kernels that I deleted
> using rpm?

In order to delete entries from your current boot loader menu, you must
find the grub.conf which is loaded. It is a file on your file-system,
provided that you use GRUB. Or did you install LILO at some point?

--
Fedora Core release 3 (Heidelberg) - Linux 2.6.11-1.14_FC3
loadavg: 1.12 1.29 0.97