MBR

Magee, Fred (MRC) fred.magee at atk.com
Tue May 17 22:44:13 UTC 2005

A co-worker swapped SCSI RAID controllers on our system running RHEL 3.0
and lost the partition table of our boot disk.  He was able to recover
it (apparently) using gpart but the system will not boot. I can boot
into rescue mode using a cd and mount all partitions and they all appear
to be ok.  Fsck marks them all as ok.  I have run grub to be sure /boot
was ok and grub-install /dev/sda to rebuild the MBR but we still get:

	No Operating System found

when we try to boot the system.  Isn't grub-install supposed to rebuild
the MBR?  Do I need (dare) to run fdisk /mbr?

Any ideas will be gratefully appreciated.

Fred