boot up fails with mount root problem...

Ben Russo ben at muppethouse.com
Fri May 20 12:35:48 UTC 2005

Ed Greshko wrote:

>>Rebooted off the SCSI disk.  Worked up until I get:

>>Partition check:
>> sda: sda1 sda2 sda3 sda4 < sda5 sda6 sda7 sda8 sda9 >
>>Journalled Block Device driver loaded
>>Mounting /proc filesystem
>>Creating root device
>>Mountin root filesystem
>>mount: error 19 mounting ext3
>>pivotroot: pivot_root(/sysroot,/sysroot/initrd) failed: 2
>>Freeing unused kernel memory: 228k freed
>>Kernel panic: No init found.  Try passing init= option to kernel
>>
>>What gives?  What does this error "error 19 mounting ext3" mean then?
>

> Well....even though you've said you've check the initrd stuff it seems
> the errors are point to something missing.
>
> What I would do is take the initrd file that you have, un-gzip it and
> mount it with -o loop and then take a look in lib and make sure all of
> what you need is there.

I checked as you suggested, ext3, jbd, BusLogic, sd_mod, scsi_mod are
all there. Those are the ones I need (when the other good box that runs
on identical hardware is running, these are the modules it has loaded).

During the bootup I have to try to quickly read the messages as they
scroll by, because once I get to the kernel panic I can't scroll back to
see them.

But I don't see any errors about problems.
It is clearly able to see the hard disk and the partitions.
It doesn't report any errors about failing to load modules or missing
modules (that I could see anyway!)

Any other ideas?