web forum software suggestions

Ben Russo ben at muppethouse.com
Fri May 20 13:59:31 UTC 2005

Bill Tangren wrote:
> Does anyone have any suggestions on what software (preferably provided
> by redhat via up2date) that I could set up to create a web based
> discussion forum for my research group? I am looking at freeScene
> PHPForum (http://phpforum.sourceforge.net/), but would like opinions
> from those out there that have set up such programs before.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Bill Tangren

Well, it isn't exactly a "forums" system. But I like it better than
forums systems because it allows me to use my news-client.  I wish that
people would stop setting up customized forum sites, because they are
all different and it is a pain to have to use all those different
interfaces.

phNNTP http://sourceforge.net/projects/phnntp/

It is just a web front end to a news server.
So that people who are familar with NNTP newsgroup clients can use any
newsgroup client they want, and others can just bookmark the group they
are interested in.  They can register on the web-page, and then login
and read or post to groups.

At my office I set up a regular news server and then I put phnntp in
front of it.  I set up "news" groups for anybody who wants one.

We also have a wiki server that everyone can use to post documentation
or whatever.  Works very well, but only a handful of people ever use it.
(unfortunately)

-Ben.