boot up fails with mount root problem...

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Sat May 21 00:34:53 UTC 2005

Ben Russo wrote:

> I checked as you suggested, ext3, jbd, BusLogic, sd_mod, scsi_mod are
> all there. Those are the ones I need (when the other good box that runs
> on identical hardware is running, these are the modules it has loaded).
>
> During the bootup I have to try to quickly read the messages as they
> scroll by, because once I get to the kernel panic I can't scroll back to
> see them.
>
> But I don't see any errors about problems.
> It is clearly able to see the hard disk and the partitions.
> It doesn't report any errors about failing to load modules or missing
> modules (that I could see anyway!)
>
> Any other ideas?

Hummm....

I guess I would:

1.  Compare the linuxrc file on my initrd between the working system and
failing system.  This should confirm that all the needed modules are in
fact being loaded.

2.  Recheck my grub.conf and make sure the disk lables are correct.
Possible typo in the grub.conf for the "root=LABEL" entry?

--
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
fools."

--Ford Prefect in "Mostly Harmless".