system down - can't find luns (correction)

Rigler, Stephen C. srigler at marathonoil.com
Mon May 23 16:02:36 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-05-23 at 10:53 -0500, Dana Holland wrote:
> Rigler, Stephen C. wrote:
> > First, try doing "mount /dev/sdb1 /usr/local/bbls".
> > If that works, then unmount and try doing "mount /usr/local/bbls".
> >
> > If the second try doesn't work, then make sure your filesystem has the
> > label specified in the fstab ("e2label /dev/sdb1").  If it doesn't have
> > the label, then you can relabel it by doing
> > "e2label /dev/sdb1 /dev/sdb1".  Repeat for /dev/sdc1.
>
> mount /dev/sdb1 /usr/local/bbls works - mount /usr/local/bbls doesn't work
>
> I guess I'm being dense, but I'm not following what you and Ed are
> telling me about the label in /etc/fstab - here is what I have:
>
> LABEL=/dev/sdb1      /usr/local/bbls         ext2    defaults        1 2
> LABEL=/dev/sdc1      /usr/local/bbcm         ext2    defaults        1 2
>
> What is it that's incorrect?

The entries in your fstab are causing the system to mount filesystems by
label rather than by the device file.  The label makes things convenient
because, if things devices change their mappings, you can still mount
the filesystem because you know what it's label is.  The labels can be a
pain for the same reason (like if you want to change system disks).

Make sure your /dev/sdb1 and /dev/sdc1 have the labels mentioned in the
fstab with the "e2label" command.  Look at the man page for the usage.
It should be pretty straight forward.  I'm betting that whomever set up
the mounts probably forgot to add the labels.

-Steve