Large number of files in single directory

Chris redhat-list at dotcomdesigners.com
Wed May 25 17:41:03 UTC 2005

Tom - forget the "by character" method... my message below has a one-liner
you can use to do the same thing on very large directories.  I'm trying to
do something similar with tarring large directories, without having to
resort to splitting things up into multiple files based on filenames (not
always practical, especially if you try to automate things and don't know
what the filenaming convention is... files may as well all start with the
same character for all I know)

Anyone?

Chris