Which Kernel to use, .EL or .ELsmp

Gavin McDonald gavitron at gmail.com
Thu May 26 18:11:24 UTC 2005

-----Original Message-----
From: redhat-list-bounces at redhat.com [mailto:redhat-list-bounces at redhat.com]
On Behalf Of linux at fritzenwallner.org
Sent: Thursday, May 26, 2005 8:34 AM
To: General Red Hat Linux discussion list
Subject: Re: Which Kernel to use, .EL or .ELsmp

Quoting Ben <bda20 at cam.ac.uk>:

> On Thu, 26 May 2005 linux at fritzenwallner.org wrote:
>
> > Can I find the information, whether linux treads my CPU as 2 CPUs in
> > /proc/cpuinfo or is it somewhere else?
>
> "treats".  The easiest thing to do is fire up the SMP kernel and either
> check dmesg for APIC and CPU0 _and_ CPU1 messages, or run 'top' and see
> whether it reports cpu0 and cpu1 there as well.  If you're not sure if
your
> CPU has HyperThreading, check in the BIOS.

Just to add my 2c,

We run dual-Xeons w/ Hyperthreading on an IBM eServer, and with the smp
kernel we get (the appearance of?) 4 CPUs.

Actually, this makes me wonder...  Am I truly getting 4 threads running
synchronously?  Maybe I should watch 'top' output more closely, and see if
the individual loads are paired,
or evenly spread...

Any thoughts, all?

Regards,