rh-l] Redhat ES4 and DLT tape drive

R P Herrold herrold at owlriver.com
Fri May 27 03:27:06 UTC 2005

On Fri, 27 May 2005, Greg Wiggill wrote:

> Hi All,

>        anyone experiencing anything similar? Im thinking that a driver
> is having a problem with the 2.6 kernel? Any ideas?

The scsi module often gets auto-cleaned away if the tape
channel is the only LUN on it.  re-probe it in and check the
lsmod before fireing off the backup.

I might also thing about pre-computing the file list, with
find, and then 'cat'ting it, rolling the backup in a later
phase, rather than the pipelined approach, so that there are
not 'find' induced waits, as would occur the dd catches up
with the cpio, and the cpio inout is blocked, as the find has
not yet offered the next name to handle.

(the reason that the module might get auto-cleaned away
again, during such waits.)

- Russ herrold