Squeaky newbie

Burke, Thomas G. tg.burke at ngc.com
Fri May 27 12:22:36 UTC 2005

First thing you need to is get all the updates from redhat's site & save them somewhere on your machine.  There's a ton of them, and many are security related.  Do it, and do it now.  You are officially a vulnerable box, if you're online.

Next, turn off all unecessary services, see above, you're vulnerable.

Next, put together a good firewall.  6.x uses ipchains - a good example can be found at http://tomii.dnsalias.com/firewall.txt - it's mine, feel free to plagiarize, but you need to learn what it all means, so you can customize for your needs.

Install portsentry, logwatch, logcheck, and anything else you can come up with to send you logs of your machine's goings on, so you can keep up to date - you want to know, as a linux box is a prime target to those 133ts (morons), as they can open a shel account on your machine & use it to attack others' machines.

If you're using the machine as a mail server, 6.x's default sendmail install has relaying automatically allowed, so read up on how to turn off relaying (or allow relaying only to necessary machines) - otherwise, spammers will hijack your server & make it look like *you* are sending the spam.

There's more, but we can get to it later...  Be paranoid, they really are out to get you.

    -Tom