redhat 9 max number of open files

Karasik, Vitaly vkarasik at nds.com
Sun May 29 15:13:57 UTC 2005

There are two limits: max open files per system [file-max] and max open files per process [nofile configured via limits.conf. In fact, there are two limits - soft and hard. As far as I remember, each user can increase his limit up to hard limit.]. As far as I remember, limits.conf doesn't limit root user.

Links:
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-adfly.html?ca=den-wud  Administer Linux on the fly (Use the /proc filesystem to get a handle on your system

Rgds,
Vitaly

Information contained in this email message is intended only for use of the individual or entity named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible to deliver it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please immediately notify the postmaster at nds.com and destroy the original message.