Text Graphic set-up

dbrett at tcn.net dbrett at tcn.net
Mon May 30 21:33:21 UTC 2005

I have new laptop I was trying to install REdhat on.  I am having lots of
problems getting any version of Redat to work.

The computer is a Dell Latitude D610 with:
Video adapter:		Intel Mobile 915GM Express Chipset
Network card:		Broadcom NeXtreme 57xx

The installation has to be done in text mode.  Once this is done I
downloaded off Intel's wesite the drivers for the video cards.  There is
an RPM, which I installed.  I cannot find a textmode program for setting
up the video card.  The only ones I can find are graphical.  Does anybody
know what the name of the text mode program for configuring the Xwindows
is?  There used to be one call 'ConfigXF86' (not sure I have the name
right, but did when I was looking for it).

I have not tried to find out what is wrong with the network card yet.
Briefly.  The problem is the eth0 comes up, but does not get an IP
address.  I have the firewall disabled and did a quick check of the
message log and nothing in there indicates there is a problem.  If anybody
has an suggestions, I would appreciate it.  Like I have not had much time
to trouble shoot this one.  I have been trying to get Xwindoews to work.

david