Protect sendmail from DoS

Steven Jones Steven.Jones at vuw.ac.nz
Tue Nov 1 22:05:42 UTC 2005

Sendmail has some protection in terms of load limiting, these are a bit
high so you can set them lower so the server recovers sooner. This will
save your server but in effect it allows DoS sooner.

Possibly you do not understand what a DoS is. DoS is a function of your
attacker overloading your network or server's capacity to handle network
traffic sent at it.

These days unless you are a big organisation with huge pipes, big
multiple servers and deep pockets, and someone wants you dead, your
dead.

If someone wants to take your server out they can, it is simply a matter
of logistics, they control 30 or 300 or 3000 or 30000 spam drones of
hacked broadband connections and the volume these generate is amazing.

I was Dos'd a while back, I was sent 5+gig of volume in 2~3 minutes, my
512k cable modem could not cope so in effect the DoS happened at the
ISP's end of my pipe, totally outside of my control.

Modern machines, even desktop ones should be able to handle a lot of
mail, if you are having issues with DoS's then maybe it is something
else.

Regards

Thing