Two versions of java on one machine

J. Refugio Rodriguez j.refugio.rodriguez at metztli-it.com
Thu Nov 3 14:29:52 UTC 2005

--- "Shaw, Marco" <Marco.Shaw at aliant.ca> wrote:

> > I'm still trying to get OO.o v2.0 installed on one
> of our RH
> > WS4.2 systems
> > and it just doesn't want to play.  I'm now
> wondering whether I need to
> > install Sun Java on the system rather than the IBM
> java
> > version offered on
> > the Red Hat website.  Will I have to uninstall the
> IBM java before
> > installing Sun Java or can they co-exist?
>
> As long as they are in different directories, they
> can co-exist.
>
> If you have the choice, just pick the JRE (Jave
> Runtime Environment)
> Instead of installing the whole SDK.

By default the RPMed IBM Java is installed under
/opt/ibm or /opt/IBM but you have the option to change
the location.

If you decide to give a spin to Sun Java, the
following settings in your $HOME/.bashrc file will
make your favorite be called when needed:

(assuming your favorite is the IBM one at the initial
location assumed above; additionally, replace the X
below by your actual version number)

JAVA_HOME=/opt/ibm/IBMJava2-14X/
PATH=/opt/ibm/IBMJava2-14X/bin:$PATH
export PATH JAVA_HOME