spotty access to web server

Bill Tangren bjt at aa.usno.navy.mil
Wed Nov 9 16:14:29 UTC 2005

I am having a problem with my web server that is difficult for me to
resolve. I have a web server at

http://aa.usno.navy.mil/

that most people can get to just fine. However, there are a small number
of people that get a "connection refused" error. I have had a difficult
time finding someone who:

1) gets this error
2) is technically savvy
3) willing to help

I have finally found someone, but I still can't solve this problem.

My server is behind a firewall (which I don't control). This helpful
soul can get to other web servers behind the firewall, but not to this
one. He did a traceroute, which was successful. I asked him to do a

telnet aa.usno.navy.mil 80

He got a "connection lost to host" error.

I was successful in doing a lookup and a reverse lookup on his IP
number, so I don't think the server is having problems with DNS. His IP
number and name do *not* show up in either web server logs or in system
logs. It is as though he never tried to access the machine at all. I do
have iptables on the machine, but I turned it off to see if it was the
culprit. He still has the connection problem, so I guess iptables isn't
the problem.

Does anyone know what I might try to solve this problem?

Bill Tangren