Apache cluster?

Chris St. Pierre stpierre at NebrWesleyan.edu
Fri Nov 18 17:01:03 UTC 2005

Magnus--

If you've only got apache running, with no dynamic content, you can
try mounting the MSA500 read-only on both boxes and do a DNS
round-robin between them.  That'll get you load balancing.  For
failover, look into Linux-HA; this would be a really simple setup,
because the heartbeat would just need to bring up a virtual interface
on the box that remains alive.

If you have dynamic content, then it becomes orders of magnitude more
difficult because you can't (or can, but don't want to) mount the same
block device by two different boxes _except_ as read-only.

Chris St. Pierre
Unix Systems Administrator
Nebraska Wesleyan University