Securing Ports

Rhugga Harper rhugga at gmail.com
Mon Nov 7 18:18:15 UTC 2005

On 11/7/05, Kelley.Coleman at med.va.gov <Kelley.Coleman at med.va.gov> wrote:

> I've received a directive to secure some open ports, but I haven't been
> able
> to locate the syntax to do that. Can anyone help point me in the right
> direction?
>
> Kelley Coleman

Well it could be in several places. For starters, disable unecessary
services in the /etc/xinetd.d directory (or even disable xinetd completely
if it isn't needed). Then disable any services that are started via
/etc/init.d. (Easy way is to use chkconfig, see whats enabled at what run
levels and tweak accordingly)

Using lsof, you can see what processes have listenning sockets and you can
use this as a complete list of IP services.

-Chuck