Server Error: 550, Error Number: 0x8000CCC79

Nagarjuna Rao Cherukuri Nagarjuna_Cherukuri at infosys.com
Tue Nov 8 07:46:19 UTC 2005

Hi,

I am installing Oracle Email Server (OES) on RHEL AS 2.1. OES works on
top of sendmail. OES has its own smtp gateway. My server name is
hydlmuk. I have created uk.dev1.com as subdomain in my OES and created
accounts in this domain. I have configured this account with outlook
express on my windows machine. When I tried sending mails to my own OES
account (self) using outlook express, I got the following error.

The message could not be sent bcause one of the recipients was rejected
by the server. The rejected e-mail address was
'testinguser at in.dev1.com'. Subject 'testinguser at in.dev1.com 7', Account:
'testinguser at uk.dev1.com', Server:'hydlmuk.ad.infosys.com', Protocol:
SMTP, Server Response: '550 5.7.1 <testinguser at in.dev1.com>... Relaying
denied', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 550, Error Number:
0x8000CCC79

So, I changed my /etc/hosts file to contain the entry for uk.dev1.com as
follows.

172.25.125.203  hydlmuk            uk.dev1.com in.dev1.com

I am able to send and receive mails with this change. But, my mails are
having improper domain names after receiving the mails. The mails are
having "hydlmuk." as the domain name.

I tried few experiments as follows.

1.	Removed entry for "uk.dev1.com" from hosts file, restarted the
sendmail --> does not allow me to send mail from outlook, failing with
the error mentioned above (No, Server Error: 550, Error Number:
0x8000CCC79)
2.	Added entry for "uk.dev1.com" to hosts file, restarted the
sendmail --> I am able to send mails. But, the received mails are having
"hydlmuk" as the domain.
3.	Added entry for "uk.dev1.com" to hosts file, restarted the
sendmail, removed the "uk.dev1.com" entry from hosts file --> I am able
to send and receive mails properly and my mails are having "uk.dev1.com"
as the domain name.

>From the above points, I could make out that the "uk.dev1.com" entry
should be present in hosts file while restarting sendmail. I think work
around could be to use a DNS server.

Can somebody let me know if I have any other option to avoid adding
"uk.dev1.com" to hosts file? Is there anything I am missing here?

thanks

nagarjuna