Changing a users password in /etc/passwd instead of NIS

Venkatachalam, Saravanakumar svenkat at india.ti.com
Wed Nov 9 12:21:47 UTC 2005

Dave,
 In Linux we have 'passwd' and 'yppasswd' commands..
the yppasswd will be invoked by passwd command if the user do not have
local account..

check your nsswitch.conf,
Is this is first time you are trying to set the password for the user (
is he a new user) ? if so make sure that the user has  entry in /etc/shadow
How do you tell that the machine is contacting NIS for password change ?

 I have the same environment and I'm able to change the password, have a
look at the output, although it contacts NIS for password change, at
last it says password updated successfully.

$ passwd user1
Changing password for user user1.
New password:
BAD PASSWORD: it is based on a dictionary word
Retype new password:
RPC: Server can't decode arguments

The password has not been changed on nisserver.
NIS password could not be changed.
passwd: all authentication tokens updated successfully.

regards,
saravan