on boot, server refused incoming. had to restart network.

Chris W. Parker cparker at swatgear.com
Thu Nov 10 18:07:52 UTC 2005

Hello everyone,

This morning I shutdown a server so that I could move it. When I powered
it back on it was refusing (or perhaps just not listening) all incoming
connections.

I was able to ssh to a friend's server outside of my network so I
networking itself was working and that it wasn't a hardware problem.

I couldn't ping, ssh, or send email to my server after powering it on.

I finally stopped the network service and then started it again. After
that everything went back to "normal".

This leads me to believe that the network is being started at boot time
differently than it is when I do 'service network start'.

Where do I look to find the differences? (Or perhaps there is an obvious
solution from someone out there?)

I'm using CentOS 4.1.

Thanks!
Chris.