IMAP and Sendmail server

Ed Wilts ewilts at ewilts.org
Fri Nov 11 12:45:52 UTC 2005

On Thu, Nov 10, 2005 at 08:58:45PM -0800, Cesar Covarrubias wrote:
> I would like to have everyone's opinion on setting up an IMAP and SMTP
> server. I have seen http://www.linuxhomenetworking.com/linux-hn/sendmail.htm
> and to me, it appears to be a good HOWTO. I would, however, like to have
> something that is simple to setup. I am considering using dovecot for IMAP
> and IMAPS and Sendmail as my SMTP. Does anyone have any other
> howto/suggestion for other apps?

dovecot is certainly simple to set up and use.  However, sendmail is
not simple and for new users, postfix is probably a better choice.

The general recommendation I make is that if you are or have access to a
sendmail expert, run sendmail.  If not, run postfix.  Both work fine
but postfix is far more user friendly.  I have run both at home in the
past but currently run sendmail since that's what I manage at work.

        .../Ed

--
Ed Wilts, RHCE
Mounds View, MN, USA