Hyperthreading/Dual core CPU's

Rhugga Harper rhugga at gmail.com
Fri Nov 11 15:55:45 UTC 2005

I would disable hyper-threading. We have 24k+ hosts (Mostly 2650's and
2850's) and saw nothing but problems with hyperthreading on nearly every
distro: RH AS 2.1, 3 and SLES 9. In many cases it actually inhibited
performance. There is a very small niche of applications that can benefit
from hyperthreading. (Our hosts are mostly oracle rac's, application
servers, and other various middle-tier applications) Note that the problems
with hyper-threading surface under heavy enterprise loads, which of course
is where you would need it.

Go with AMD and their HypeTransport / dual-core. Much better performance
accross the boards IMHO.

-rhugga